The Spektrum RC Team has put together a DSMX Add-on FAQ to help current DSM2 owners or those looking to purchase a Spektrum system, decide if DSMX technology is right for them. Click to read the FAQ.
DSMX Add-on FAQ
Click HERE, to watch the DSMX Overview video.
What is DSMX?
DSMX builds upon the incredible DSM2 technology you have come to know and trust. After years of development and in the field use, DSMX is an evolution of DSM2 2.4 GHz technology, destined to deliver the most robust, reliable, and efficient level of RF link possible in the modeling world today.
DSMX is for those modelers who enjoy attending mega events where large numbers of 2.4 systems are on at once. Another great part about all of this is the forward/backward compatibility of DSMX to DSM2 is such that no current technology becomes orphaned with the release of todays or future DSM transmitter products.
It is a new, frequency agile evolution of Spektrum 2.4GHz technology that matches the consistently superior speed and data capacity of DSM2 with the most advanced frequency shifting algorithm to date.
Should I purchase the DSMX add-on?
Before investing in the DSMX transmitter add-on, there are several important facts about DSMX you need to know:
●To realize the full benefits of DSMX technology you must have both a DSMX Transmitter and a DSMX Receiver
●DSM2 transmitters are compatible with DSMX receivers. Likewise, should you add-on to a DSMX transmitter, the DSM2 receivers you have now will be compatible with it.
●Because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wide-band DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether they’re using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.
●The difference a DSMX system makes is only apparent when hundreds of 2.4GHz systems are in use at once.* DSM2 users who rarely, if ever, fly in big events or other exceptionally “noisy” 2.4GHz environments may find the DSM2 equipment they have now is all they will ever need.
*A DSMX system refers to a DSMX transmitter in use with a DSMX receiver.
Just How Good is DSMX?
In multiple tests, 100 DSMX systems were operated simultaneously for extended periods of time. During these tests not a single case of RF link loss, latency increase or control degradation was experienced or recorded.
See the 100 transmitter test for yourself. Watch the DSMX video above.
Does DSMX have ModelMatch and ServoSync?
Yes. DSMX will provide users with these and the many other exclusive Spektrum advantages they already enjoy with DSM2.
Can I send in my DSM or DSM2 Receivers for the DSMX add-on?
Horizon Hobby can not add DSMX Technology to any DSM or DSM2 Receivers.
Transitioning to DSMX will result in loss of compatibility with DSM technology. (Spektrum AR6000, Spektrum BR6000)
However, because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wide-band DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether they’re using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.*
*DSM2 and DSMX Remote receivers are not interchangeable.
Is the DSMX add-on available for my JR 72 MHz transmitter?
The DSMX add-on is only compatible with 2.4 GHz transmitters.
Is the DSMX add-on available for my JR 12X MV transmitter?
Yes, the DSMX add-on is compatible with your transmitter.
Important Note: After you complete your order, you are only required to send in your 2.4Ghz module to receive the DSMX add-on. You do not have to include your transmitter.
What is the process to request an add-on?
1. Click on the appropriate add-on for your transmitter.
2. Order the add-on as you would order any other product. Cost of the add-on includes shipping to the Horizon Hobby Service Center.
3. The shipping method you select during the checkout process applies to your return shipment and is not included within the price of the add-on. All return shipping will be “signature required.”
4. Please use accurate shipping information, billing information and email address when placing your DSMX add-on order.
5. Your order confirmation screen will contain additional information about sending your transmitter in to the Horizon Hobby Service Center. You must print out this confirmation and include it within your shipment.
6. You will receive a pre-paid shipping label via email that you must print and use on the outside of your shipment.
7. Please back up all data and information before packaging your transmitter.
8. Please pack your transmitter appropriately to avoid shipping damages. Do not include LiPo batteries within your shipment.
9. Track the status of your add-on request by accessing the online Service Center at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Repairs
What Products are Eligible for the DSMX Add-on?
If you wish to add-on your JR 12X you will need to purchase this product: JRP12XUPG
Note: If you purchased your JR 12X on or after November 1, 2010 you are eligible for a full add-on refund. Visit the product add-on page for details.
If you wish to add-on your JR 11X you will need to purchase this product: JRP11XUPG
Note: If you purchased your JR 11X on or after November 1, 2010 you are eligible for a full add-on refund. Visit the product add-on page for details.
If you wish to add-on your JR X9503 you will need to purchase this product: JRPX9503UPG
Note: If you purchased your JR X9503 on or after November 1, 2010 you are eligible for a full add-on refund. Visit the product add-on page for details.
If you wish to add-on your JR 9303 you will need to purchase this product: JRPX9303UPG
If you wish to add-on your Spektrum DX7 you will need to purchase this product: SPMDX7UPG
Note: The Spektrum DX7 Special Edition is not eligible for the DSMX add-on.
If you wish to add-on your Spektrum DX6i you will need to purchase this product: SPMDX6iUPG
Important Data Backup Information
Be sure to back up your transmitter data before sending it in.
For transmitters that do not have SD Card or Data Transfer capabilities, the following guides may be used:
Airplane Programming Guide
Helicopter Programming Guide
If you have questions regarding the purchasing process for DSMX you can contact us by phone at 1-800-338-4639
If you have questions regarding the DSMX technology you can contact us by phone at 1-877-504-0233
Source: Horizon Hobby
- VIDEO: The Spektrum RC Team Explain DSMX Technology
- Toy Fair 2011: DX10t spotted
- VIDEO: DSMX Add-On Review by Horizon Hobby
- Spektrum STi: iPhone App for Spektrum Telemetry
- HOT: Spektrum announces free receivers promo